We act as local counsel to other Texas lawyers or out of state lawyers that find themselves litigating in Texas Courts. In addition to practicing before all Texas courts, we are admitted in all of the Texas federal courts. Our experience and familiarity with local practices and procedures can be an indispensable asset to firms and their clients less familiar with the nuances of the Texas practice. We also understand and respect the primary attorney – client relationship and carefully tailor our role as local counsel to align with the needs of clients and their attorneys. Yet we stand ready to handle the full scope of services needed by clients in disputes and litigated matters. We provide this representation with our usual commitment to value, efficiency, and effectiveness.
We typically assist out-of-state attorneys in a variety of ways, including:
- Prepare and file motions including pro hac vice admissions
- Advise on strategy and local rules
- Handle personal service and next day filings
- Ensuring compliance with time periods for filing discovery
- Providing out-of-state attorneys with background intelligence on local judges and arbitrators.
- Serving subpoenas for documents and testimony.
- Filing and arguing motions to compel compliance with subpoenas.
- Domesticating subpoenas and foreign judgments.
- Enforcing judgments against Texas based judgment debtors.
Examples of cases in which we have acted as local counsel:
- An international firm (Am Law 100) retained us to assist the defense in several matters, including
- An $11 billion class-action case involving an acquisition by a major oil company
- A shareholder oppression case involving a chemical company
- In a case over the interpretation and breach of a purchase and sale agreement of large acreage tracts of land for a syndicated real estate investment firm
- A large New York based firm retained us to assist the defense on a securities fraud case involving a trading and clearing house.
- Another large New York based firm retained us to assist the defense of a trademark and trade secret case.
- A large Washington, D.C. based firm retained us to assist the defense of a contractual dispute over the manufacture of cement mixers for a European trucking company.
- A San Antonio based firm retained us to assist the defense of a non-compete dispute involving contempt for a Texas based energy company.
- A Vermont based firm retained us to assist the defense of a contractual dispute for one of the nation’s largest arms importers.