Banner Layer
Hopkins Centrich Banner Dots
Shape Right


Post Judgement Remedies/Modifications

“The divorce is final.”

Hopkins Centrich Law’s clients work long and hard with us to, finally, hear those words. We’re thrilled when they do – it marks the beginning of a new chapter in their lives. It’s a great day . . . but it time doesn’t just stop.

Business Law
Serving The Woodlands

The divorce may be final, but like everything else in life, things change. People, circumstances, jobs, health, children and their needs, can and do change. Sometimes it takes time, sometimes with little to no warning. Sometimes, people make choices that negatively affects others.

When you come down to it, divorce is about people and families and people and families are certainly not immune to change. A divorce decree/agreement/judgement that seemed ‘perfect’ a year or more ago could become onerous if there was no way to take into account for change.

Thankfully, there are options available to adjust judgements, orders, decisions, and agreements after they’re made.

You may never need any of these tools – but if you do, we’re ready to move ahead for you as quickly as possible.


Motion to Modify

A Motion to Modify is exactly what it sounds like: a request that the court change some element(s) of a divorce decree. You may need a modification of child support if, for example, you lose a job, get a new job, or experience a significant life change. A motion may also be used to tweak a parenting plan or custody agreement to accommodate your child’s needs and wishes as they grow older.

Grey Bg One

Motion for Contempt

When a former spouse (or another party) refuses to follow a court order(s), a Motion for Contempt may be needed to correct the situation. A Motion for Contempt is a civil law matter and differs from the better known “criminal” contempt of court prevalent in every law related TV show and movie (ever).

The goal is simple: to put you back to where you would have been had the other person done what they were supposed to do.


Motion to Open

A piece of evidence, an additional fact, found assets, many other things may come to light after the divorce has been finalized. If it would have been important, if not vital to, the final outcome, it needs to be brought to the court’s attention.

In this case, a Motion to Open may be used to request the court to look at and explore the key questions raised by the new information – which the court should have had before the judgment.

Post-judgment remedies are not restricted to these motions. The point is, you can manage your divorce after judgment is rendered to ensure it does what it was designed to do despite changing circumstances, withheld evidence, and/or an ex’s intransience.

The attorneys at Hopkins Centrich have years of experience successfully pursuing post-judgment remedies for our clients.

Business Law
Serving The Woodlands
Review Shape
grey Curve